Kobbari Burelu Recipe
Ingredients For Kobbari Burelu
Rice Flour (Laavu Biyyamu) : 2 kgs
Bellam (Jaggery) : 1 kg
Coconuts (Grated coconut) : 2
Oil : For deep frying
Ghee : 2 tsp
Elachi Powder : 1 tsp
Sesame Seeds : 2tsp
1) Soak Rice for 1/2 day by cleaning rice once every 6 hours by adding fresh water
Note: Old and fat Rice is good for this (Paatha lavu biyyam )
2) Drain the water and dry the rice.
3) Blend it into smooth powder.
4) Mash the Jaggery into pieces, and blend the coconut into fine grating
5) Add mashed Jaggery in a cooking pan by adding 250ml water and put it on stove.
6) Filter after it melts
7) Heat up the filtered liquid till it thickens, Add 2 tsp Oil and close the mixture with a plate, Add Sesame Seeds and Elachi Powder .
8) Add Coconut grating to the boiling jaggery water and cook it for 5 minutes in medium flame by keep stirring continuously, add 1 tsp Ghee and put off the flame
9) Get it off the stove, slowly add small quantities of Rice flour mixing continuously, keep adding till the mix is reasonably thick.
10) To check for the right thickness, apply little oil to hand, take little chalimidi and make sure it is neither too loose nor too thick, also it should not stick to the hand
11) Heat oil in a pan
12) Take small quantity of chalimidi and make it into round shapes reasonably thick on a plastic food grade cover, remember to close the lid every time after you take the dough else it will thicken and solidify
13) Slowly leave one by one into heating oil and fry till golden color, flip them and fry the other side too in high flame
14) Do not leave all of them into the oil at once, else they will stick together, drop one in first, wait for it to float and drop the second one in. Repeat the process.
Extract Burelu from oil and let oil drain on a tissue paper.
Sweet Burelu is ready to serve
To store them, let them cool down and store in a air tight container.