For a good short crust base it is important to chill the unbaked crust in the freezer for 10-15 minutes and
then put in the hot oven. The pastty is much lighter this way. Cut thin slices.
Makes 16 thin pieces
200 gm (2 cups) flour (maida)
1/2 cup butter (75-80 gm) – cut into pieces and keep in the fridge to
2 tbsp powdered sugar, 4-5 tbsp ice cold water
CARAMEL NUT FILLING
2 cups toasted nuts in all – (1 cup walnuts, 1/2 cup almonds,
/2 cup kishmish – toasted for 2-3 minutes)
3/4 cup sugar (regular) + 1/2 cup water, ½ cup cream – warmed
TO BRUSH ON TART
1½ tbsp honey + ‘4 tsp cinnamon powder
150 gm chocolate, 100 gm cream (½ cup)
1 tbsp rum (optional)
8-10 large strawberries, 2-3 tbsp fruit jam
- Put cold butter in a mixer with sugar and whip till fluffy. Add maida to the mixer and run mixer for a few seconds till crumbly. Remove from mixer. Bind mixture with ice cold water. Knead gently into dough of rolling consistency. Wrap in a damp cloth. Keep aside for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Grease a 9-10’ flan tin or pie tin. Roll out a large chappati of 1/8” thickness on the kitchen platform.
Loosen with a big knife and place in the flan tin. Prick with a fork.
- Keep in the freezer for 10 minutes. Bake blind for 20 minutes at 200°C till light golden. Take out from
oven. Cool. Brush pie shell with honey mixed with cinnamon.
- For the caramel nut topping, put sugar in a clean heavy bottom kadahi. Gently pour water from all
sides. Boil on medium heat for about 5 minutes without stirring, till clear and sugar dissolves. Boil
further for 10-15 minutes till golden and caramelized. Stir only once or twice from the sides slightly.
- Remove from fire. Add warmed cream (microwave for 10 seconds) carefully into the caramelized
sugar, as it will splatter. Mix well. Add nuts. Mix well. Fill nuts into the baked pie crust or shell.
- For the ganache topping, put chocolate pieces in a bowl and microwave for 1 minute. Add cream. Mix
well. Microwave for 30 seconds. Add 1 tbsp rum. Mix. Pour over the nuts to cover completely.
- Refrigerate for 2-3 hours to set. Cut into thin pieces and arrange them together on the serving plate.
- Cut strawberries into halves. Heat jam. Add 1 tbsp water. Reduce heat. Add strawberries. Stir for 1
mm. Arrange over the chocolate topping on each piece of pie. Serve pie cold or at room temperature.