Apples, cinnamon and walnuts are the warm and comforting ingredients used to make this all-time favourite.
SHORT CRUST PASTRY
225 gm (2Yz cups) flour (maida)
115 gm (2/3 cup) yellow salted butter (cold) – cut into tiny cubes and
2 tbsp powdered sugar
a very small pinch baking powder
2-3 tbsp ice cold water to bind
2-3 tbsp walnuts – crushed
4 large apples – peeled and thinly sliced
1 tsp lemon juice
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp powdered cinnamon (dalchirv)
2 tbsp melted butter & 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1. Cut cold butter into tiny cubes. Sift powdered sugar, baking powder and flour and put in a mixer.
Add butter. Blend at low speed, intermittently (not continuous) till the mixture turns crumbly. Remove
from mixer in a big mixing bowl.
- Knead lightly with ice cold water to form a dough.
- Wrap in a damp cloth and keep in the fridge for 10-15 minutes.
- For the filling, mix apple slices, lemon juice, sugar and cinnamon. Heat on slow fire till pulpy and dry.
- Keeping aside ¼ of the dough, roll out the rest of the dough into a round of 1/8” thickness and 4”
bigger in diameter than the flan tin or pie dish, so that is covers the base and the sides of the pie
- Grease a loose bottomed tin. Spread pastry in it. Roll a belan over it to even out the shell. See page
82. Prick lightly with a fork. Bake at 180°C in a pre-heated oven for 12-15 minutes till very light
- Arrange the filling over the pastry. Sprinkle brown sugar.
- Roll out the leftover dough and cut into thin strips. Arrange the strips in a crisscross fashion on the
- Brush melted butter on the strips. Bake for 15 minutes in a pre-heated oven at 200°C till the strips
turns light brown and lightly crisp. Serve warm with ice cream or by itself.